YOU WILL NEED:
- A t-shirt, one belonging to your your dad/brother/boyfriend works best so it doesn't matter if you mess it up, because it's not yours. (I used the latter.) Make sure it's knitted, not woven though, but this isn't really important because most t-shirts are knitted.
- A stitch unpick/drawing pin (My stitch unpick broke, I had to improvise.)
- Lots and lots and lots of time.
- Fully functioning hands.
- A LOT of patience.
Once you've collected the above, you can start!
1.) Firstly, cut the hem off of your t-shirt, all the way around. This means that you can get at the individual threads.
2.) Next, stretch the rough edge so it becomes easier for you to see individual threads.
(ignore my scabby hands)
3.) Using the stitch unpick, pick out the first horizontal thread closest to the undone edge, to the width which you want your shred to be, and be careful not to snap it (although it doesn't really matter whether you do or not, you can just try again)
4) Repeat this all the way along, although after somewhere in the region of 10-20 threads, you should just be able to work them out with your fingers. It doesn't matter if you snap the odd thread or make the occasional hole, if anything it makes it look better.
5) Ten years and ten swollen fingers later, your finished product should look something like this:
..but probably better